SMTP over TLS

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Jun 2 10:21:59 EDT 2004

I view link encryption for SMTP -- i.e. SMTP over TLS -- as having two
functions.

1) It frustrates "vacuum cleaner" mail tapping efforts to some degree.
2) It can be used effectively for authenticating the posting of a
   mail message from an MUA to the first hop MTA.

I don't see it as being useful for making sure your mail is actually
"secure", but I think it is a valuable thing to turn on as much as one
can, if only to reduce "casual eavesdropping". It certainly can't stop
(for the most part) concerted attacks, but I don't think most people
view it as being useful for that.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com