Verifying Anonymity

Anton Stiglic astiglic at okiok.com
Fri Jul 16 13:41:05 EDT 2004

>> [...] I find it hard to imagine how you
>> can even know whether it "seems to work", let alone has some subtle
>> problem.
>
>That's clearly a much harder problem--and indeed I suspect it's behind
>the general lack of interest that the public has shown in anonymous
>systems.
>
>-Ekr

The lack of understanding of how a solution works applies to most security
products and in general to all computer products.  Most people don't have a
clue how an SSL encrypted session really protects your credit card number in
transit, but allot of people are starting to realize that they should use it
(they understand to some extent the problem SSL attempts to solve).

With anonymity systems, I don't think understanding how a solution works is
a problem to its wide-spread use, the problem is more that of understanding
the *problem the solution attempts to solve*.  People still don't understand
the consequences of privacy invasion on the Internet (the problem).  Once
they do, they will be willing to pay for a solution from any trusted
company, without needing to understand how the solution actually works.
IMHO...

--Anton