New Attack on Secure Browsing

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Fri Jul 16 03:30:24 EDT 2004

Aram,

It's now pretty clear that PGP had no clue what this was
all about.  Apologies to all, that was my mistake.  Also,
to clarify, there was no SSL involved.

What we are looking at is a case of being able to put a
padlock on the browser in a place that *could* be confused
by a user.  This is an unintended consequence of the
favicon design by Microsoft.

Now, another thing becomes clearer, from your report and
others:  Microsoft implemented the display of the favicon
only as accepted / chosen by the user.  You have to add
this site as a favourite.

Other browsers - the competitors - went further and
displayed the favicon on arrival at the site.  I guess
they felt that it could be more useful than Microsoft
had intended.  But, in this case, it seems that they
may have stumbled on something that goes too far.

What will save them in this case is that the numbers of
users of such non-Microsoft browsers are relatively small.
If the tables were turned, and it was Microsoft that was
vulnerable, I'd confidentally predict that we would see
some attempted exploits of this in the next month's
phishing traffic.

iang