Humorous anti-SSL PR

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Thu Jul 15 15:18:47 EDT 2004

J Harper wrote:
> This barely deserves mention, but is worth it for the humor:
> "Information Security Expert says SSL (Secure Socket Layer) is Nothing More
> Than a Condom that Just Protects the Pipe"
> http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/7/prweb141248.htm

I guess the intention was to provide more end-to-end
security for transaction data.  After a reasonable start,
if a bit scattered, it breaks down with this:

     "What we can be certain of is that it is not possible
     to have a man-in-the-middle attack with FormsAssurity
     – encryption ensures that the form has really come from
     the claimed web site, the form has not been altered,
     and the only person that can read the information
     filled in on the form is the authorized site."

Which is quite inconsistent - so much so that it seems
that the press release writer got confused over which
system he or she was talking about.

iang