EZ Pass and the fast lane ....

Amir Herzberg herzbea at macs.biu.ac.il
Sun Jul 11 04:39:18 EDT 2004

> If they could read the license plates reliably, then they wouldn't
> need the EZ Pass at all.  They can't.  It takes human effort, which is
> in short supply.

The toll road that began operating here in Israel seems able to read
your license plate number, without even requiring cars to slow down (and
they definitely _don't_ slow down...).

So I think this observation about EZ Pass is probably true, but for some
time ago; with current technology, reading license plates is possible
(which, I guess, has some alarming privacy implications...).

Best regards,

Amir Herzberg
Associate Professor, Computer Science Dept., Bar Ilan University
http://amirherzberg.com (information and lectures in cryptography &
security)