EZ Pass and the fast lane ....

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Thu Jul 8 11:09:11 EDT 2004

> Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:34:20 -0400
> From: Dave Emery <die at dieconsulting.com>
> To: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
> Subject: EZ Pass and the fast lane ....

> 	No mention is made of encryption or challenge response
> authentication but I guess that may or may not be part of the design
> (one would think it had better be, as picking off the ESN should be duck
> soup with suitable gear if not encrypted).

 From a business perspective, it makes no
sense to spend any money on crypto for this
application.  If it is free, sure use it,
but if not, then worry about the 0.01% of
users who fiddle the system later on.

It would be relatively easy to catch someone
doing this - just cross-correlate with other
information (address of home and work) and
then photograph the car at the on-ramp.

If the end result isn't as shown through
other means, then you have the evidence.
One high profile court case later, and the
chances of anyone copying this to escape
a toll fare shrink into the ignorable.

iang