Question on the state of the security industry (second half not necessarily on topic)

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jul 3 14:22:56 EDT 2004

Joseph Ashwood wrote:
> I am continually asked about spam, and I personally treat phishing as a
> subset of it, but I have seen virtually no interest in correcting the
> problem. I have personally been told I don't even know how many times that
> phishing "is not an issue."
Well if nothing else, it is impossible for my bank to send me anything I
would believe via email now....

To take this even slightly more on-topic - does anyone here have a bank
capable of authenticating themselves to you when they ring you?
I have had four phone calls from my bank this year, all of which start
out by asking me to identify myself to them. When I point out that they
must know who I am - as they just phoned me - and that I have no way of
knowing who they are, they are completely lost (probably takes them away
from the little paper script pinned to their desk)