US Court says no privacy in wiretap law

Ivan Krstic krstic at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Jul 3 18:10:05 EDT 2004

William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Switches, routers, and any intermediate computers are fair game for
> warrantless wiretaps.

It seems privacy and free speech are becoming lost concepts worldwide.
This just came out today:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worldbiz/archives/2004/07/03/2003177559

So not only does China mercilessly filter the Internet for their
residents (several weeks ago, they blocked access to Wikipedia), now
they also filter SMSs. North Korea chose not to bother altogether, and
after introducing cell phone service a year and a half ago, recently
shut it down completely for "fear of too much foreign influence". I need
not say international calls were blocked, both inbound and outbound,
during the period the network was operational.

Is there nothing that can be done about any of this? Do we just stand
by, watching some of our most important human rights go to shit?

This sets my blood boiling like very few other things.

Caustically embittered,
Ivan.