why "penny black" etc. are not very useful (could crypto stop spam??)

john saylor jsaylor at worldwinner.com
Fri Jan 2 12:10:46 EST 2004

hi

Amir Herzberg wrote:
> E-mail (at least from new
> correspondents) must be signed by an `anti-spam mail certification
> authority (ASMCA)` - often the ISP of the sender. Recipient's mail
> client (or server) will reject mail (from new correspondents) not
> certified by a trustworthy ASMCA.

ok, but is it a 'web of trust' model [pgp] with many decentralized
ASMCAs [or whatever they're called], or a 'pay to play' model where an
authority [verisign] decides which mail gets the bits or not.

the technology exists, and would work. the problem [as is often the
case], comes with the human interface to the technology. i am very
skeptical of how much better things would be in a 'pay to play'
scenario. we'd just get different kinds of spam without lessening the flow.

> - ASMCA's have strong incentive not to approve spam.

if they can make more money by approving it, they will. i wish it were
otherwise.

--
\js	! VTABE NAPRV FFGER ATGU