Cryptography Research wants piracy speed bump on HD DVDs

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Dec 22 16:47:55 EST 2004

>From what I recall from reading the CR paper a while back they can
tolerate up to some threshold of colluding players.  However if you go
over that threshold (and it's not too large) you can remove the mark.

I would think the simplest canonical counter-attack would be to make a
p2p app that compares diffs in the binary output (efficiently rsync
style) accumulates enough bits to strip the disk watermark, p2p rips
and publishes.  QED.

DRM is a misguided endeavor.  You can not simultaneously give people
digital content and expect to stop them digitally copying it.  The
"attacker" owns and paid for the player.

Adam