SSL/TLS passive sniffing

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Wed Dec 22 12:10:18 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:24:59PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Victor Duchovni:
>
> > The third mode is quite common for STARTTLS with SMTP if I am not
> > mistaken. A one day sample of inbound TLS email has the following cipher
> > frequencies:
> >
> > 8221    (using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
> > 6529    (using TLSv1 with cipher EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA (168/168 bits))
>
> The Debian folks have recently stumbled upon a problem in this area:
> Generating the ephemeral DH parameters is expensive, in terms of CPU
> cycles, but especailly in PRNG entropy.  The PRNG part means that it's
> not possible to use /dev/random on Linux, at least on servers.  The
> CPU cycles spent on bignum operations aren't a real problem.
>
> Would you recommend to switch to /dev/urandom (which doesn't block if
> the entropy estimate for the in-kernel pool reaches 0), and stick to
> generating new DH parameters for each connection, or is it better to
> generate them once per day and use it for several connections?

Actually reasoning along these lines is why Lutz Jaenicke implemented
PRNGD, it is strongly recommended (at least by me) that mail servers
use PRNGD or similar.  PRNGD delivers psuedo-random numbers mixing in
real entropy periodically.

EGD, /dev/random and /dev/urandom don't produce bits fast enough. Also
Postfix internally seeds the built-in OpenSSL PRNG via the tlsmgr process
and this hands out seeds for smtp servers and clients, so the demand for
real entropy is again reduced.

Clearly a PRNG is a compromise (if the algorithm is found to be weak we
could have problems), but real entropy is just too expensive.

I use PRNGD.

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify