The Pointlessness of the MD5 "attacks"

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue Dec 14 18:47:27 EST 2004

Well the people doing the checking (a subset of the power users) may
say "I checked the source and it has this checksum", and another user
may download that checksum and be subject to MITM and not know it.

Or I could mail you the source and you would check it with checksum
and compare checksum to web site.

Or somone could just go ahead and change the source without changing
the checksum or any of the changlog / cvs change notification stuff
and people would not think there is a change to review.

Some of this scenarios will likely work some of the time against
users.

Adam