3DES performance

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Wed Dec 8 23:29:45 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Parkes" <leep at bogus.net>
Subject: 3DES performance

> I'm working on a project for a company that involves the use of 3DES. They
> have
> asked me to find out what the overheads are for encrypting a binary file.
> There
> will be quite a lot of traffic coming in (in the region of hundreds of
> thousands of files per hour). Has anyone got any figures for 3DES
> performance?
> I've tried bdes on OpenBSD which has given me some useful results.

Good estimates for the speed of many algorithms can be found at
http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/benchmarks.html , while the system is a bit
old, the numbers are still relatively valid, considering that you will have
other overheads involved. Just to save you a trip 3DES comes in around
10MByte/second, and AES up to 6 times that speed.
                Joe

Trust Laboratories
Changing Software Development
http://www.trustlaboratories.com