Cryptome on ABC Evening News?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Aug 14 20:44:16 EDT 2004

At 03:32 PM 8/12/2004, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
>There's a teaser for tonight's 6:30 news about "a website that publishes
>pipeline maps and the names and addresses of government employees". The
>horror.

Speaking unofficially for the telecom industry,
we're really happy to have the site there
showing pictures of cable landings, antennas, etc.
I've seen them used in internal training about submarine cables
and I think we've probably used them in talks to customers as well.

Separately, of course, we have bureaucrats who don't want to
publish the addresses of telecom POPs, ignoring the fact
that you can't buy physically diverse access to a location
if you don't know where it is, and also ignoring the fact
that 90% of a certain large 3-1/2-letter-acronym long distance carrier's
POPs are in the same buildings as the local telcos
so everybody knows where they are anyway,
even though everybody's forgotten the derivation of V&H coordinates...

----
Bill Stewart  bill.stewart at pobox.com