Al Qaeda crypto reportedly fails the test

Ian Brown I.Brown at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 11 11:24:15 EDT 2004

In message <41153C1F.9020808 at av8n.com>, John Denker writes:
>>Here's a challenge directly relevant to this group:  Can you
>>design a comsec system so that pressure against a code clerk
>>will not do unbounded damage?  What about pressure against a
>>comsec system designer?

Modulo Steve's comments about the threat model, Ben Laurie and I wrote a
paper on this theme a few years ago:
http://www.acsac.org/2000/papers/47.pdf

I developed that paper's threat model into chapter 4 of my PhD thesis:
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/I.Brown/pimms/thesis.pdf

We are still hopeful that we will eventually get somewhere with our
Internet draft improving the forward secrecy capabilities of OpenPGP:
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/I.Brown/openpgp-pfs.txt
--
+44 7970 164 526 / http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/I.Brown/