Al Qaeda crypto reportedly fails the test

lrk crypto at ovillatx.sytes.net
Fri Aug 6 13:14:05 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:18:27PM +0100, Ian Grigg wrote:
> Steve Furlong wrote:
>
> >Bah. They were probably Word documents with the "password required"
> >option turned on.
>
> Read about one of their coding systems here:
>
> [Moderator's Note: One wonders if the document on the "Smoking Gun"
> website is even remotely real. It is amazingly amateurish -- the sort
> of code practices that were obsolete before the Second World War. --Perry]

Code practices used by Federal LEOs in the 1980s. I mentioned to friends
about hearing the DEA using a "Spiderman Codewheel" type cipher and then
came across one in the Safeway store. Same Caesar cipher sequence, complete
with the Spiderman picture.

More amusing to hear them complain about being unable to decipher messages
that I had read. Of course, I didn't know which day's key to use.

crypto at ovillatx.sytes.net