Reliance on Microsoft called risk to U.S. security

Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com
Sat Sep 27 15:48:29 EDT 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Jeroen C.van Gelderen wrote:

> I continue to believe that few users would grant an email message
> access to both the Internet and the Address Book when they are asked
> those two questions, provided that the user had not been conditioned to
> clicking "YES" in order to get any work done at all.

You have not met my users! This is really rather naive. Users don't
understand pop dialogues, they raise their stress level, always clicking
"yes" makes the problem go away.

> There is no way around asking the user because he is the ultimate
> authority when it comes to making trust decisions. (Side-stepping the
> issues in a (corporate) environment where the owner of the machine is
> entitled to restrict its users in any way he sees fit. The point is
> that the software agent cannot make trust decisions.)

See above.

> > Also security is not closed under composition, two individually secure
> > components can combine to produce an insecure system. I think that no
> > such secure *non-trivial* least privilege system exists for a
> > graphical general purpose computer either in theory, or in practice.
>
> Are you familiar with the KeyKOS and EROS operating systems and/or
> Stiegler's CapDesk, a secure desktop in Java? They are all based on the
> Principle Of Least Privilege (trough capabilities) and they manage to
> preserve security in the face of composition. Do you consider those
> systems to be trivial, or broken? What is the reason these systems
> cannot exist in theory or practice?

What fraction of "real" users will be able to use these systems? Will
users really understand the composition properties of security policies?

--
	Victor Duchovni
	IT Security,