Reliance on Microsoft called risk to U.S. security

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Fri Sep 26 20:04:05 EDT 2003

At 6:47 AM -0700 9/26/03, Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com wrote:
>While part of the security problems in Windows are Microsoft specific, in
>my view a large part is inherited from earlier graphiscal desktop designs,
>and is almost universal in this space. Specifically, when a user clicks
>(or double-clicks) on an icon there is not a clear distinction between
>"Run" and "View". Instead we have the polymorphic "Open".
>
>If files always opened in a safe viewer, (e.g. clicking on a .pl file
>fired up an editor, not the ActiveState Perl interpreter) a good part of
>the security problem with Graphical desktops, Microsoft's, Apple's,
>RedHat's, ... would be solved. The bizarre advice we give users to not
>open message attachments would be largely unnecessary (one also needs to
>close the the macro invocation problem, but this is not insurmountable).
>
>It is my contention that so long as activating an icon does not
>distinguish between "Run" and "View" all Graphical Shells will be
>insecure.

The real problem is that the viewer software, whether it is an editor, PDF
viewer, or a computer language interpreter, runs with ALL the user's
privileges.  If we ran these programs with a minimum of privilege, most of
the problems would "just go away".

See:
http://www.combex.com/tech/edesk.html
http://www.combex.com/papers/darpa-review/index.html