[Mac_crypto] Re: Peppercoin Raises $4 Million in First Round Funding, Appoints CEO

Dave Birch dave.birch at chyp.com
Thu Sep 25 03:03:09 EDT 2003

On 24/9/03 3:29 am, Nicko van Someren e-said:

> I think you'll find that when the transaction value is small the
> merchant rates from all the credit card companies are substantially
> higher than that.  It's common for the marginal merchant rate to be on
> the order of 2-4% for online transactions but there is usually a base
> charge of 25 cents or more as well as the marginal rate.  On a $2
> charge for a song the merchant could well be paying more than 30 cents
> in fees, which is more than double the rate for Peppercoin.

By the far the most profitable micropayment market in operation is in the
mobile space (ringtones, logos etc) where MSCs of 50% are not uncommon.

Regards,
Dave Birch.

P.S.  US readers may be unaware that ringtones/logos will be a $25 billion
per annum market by 2006.

--
-- My own opinion (I think) given solely in my capacity
-- as an interested member of the general public.