why are CAs charging so much for certs anyway? (Re: End of the line for Ireland's dotcom star)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Sep 24 18:33:56 EDT 2003

Saw this on theregister.co.uk: geotrust is undercutting veri$ign at
$159/cert vs $350/cert by verisign and $199 by Thawte (which as you
note is just a verisign brand at this point).

You'd have thought there would be plenty of scope for certs to be sold
for a couple of $ / year.  Eg. by one of the registrars bundling a
cert with your domain registration.  I mean if someone can provide DNS
service for $10 or less / year (and lower for some tlds) which
requires servers to answer queries etc., surely they can send a you a
few more bits (all they have to do is make sure they send the cert to
the person who they register the domain for).

>From what I heard Mark Shuttleworth (of Thawte) got his cert in the
browser DBs for free just for the asking by being in the right place
at the right time.  So once you have that charging > $100 for a few
seconds of CPU time to sign a cert is a license to print money.

With all the .com crashes you'd think the price of a root cert ought
to be pretty low by now.

Adam