Who is this Mallory guy anyway?

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Mon Sep 22 18:13:40 EDT 2003

> Well, that's the question - is Eve allowed to
> forward packets, in the act of listening, or
> is that the Mallory's job?  I don't know.

You can't measure a single-particle state without at least some chance
of destroying the state.  (Even quantum non-demolition methods affect
the measured system a bit.)  So you can't have a purely passive Eve.
Perhaps "Quentin" is the Quantum Eavesdropper who makes his optimal
tradeoff between gathering the most information and being the least
detectable.