Can Eve repeat?

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Sat Sep 20 12:52:21 EDT 2003

"R. Hirschfeld" wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:57:22 -0400
> > From: Ian Grigg <iang at systemics.com>
>
> > If I understand this correctly, this is both
> > an eavesdropping scenario and an MITM scenario.
> >
> > In the above, Eve is acting as Mallory, as she
> > is by definition intercepting the bits and re-
> > sending them on?
>
> As Dave Howe pointed out, Eve is acting as a repeater and tries not to
> alter the bits.  This seems a sensible model of eavesdropping for QKD.
> The threat is that Alice and Bob might incorporate bits that were seen
> by Eve into their key.  If Bob never receives a bit, it won't be used.

I'm curious on one point of terminology - my understanding
of the term "EVE" was that she could not be active, and
could not repeat.  Is this defined anywhere?

I had a look at the big red book, but Schneier doesn't
quite nail that issue.  He seems to err on the side of
Eve not being able to repeat, as the dividing line is
set as active v. passive.

As I say, just a point of terminology.

iang