Is cryptography where security took the wrong branch?

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Wed Sep 10 14:56:05 EDT 2003

At 09:57 AM 9/10/2003 -0700, bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
>         ok...  does anyone else want to "touch" a secured DNS system
>         that has some parts fo the tree fully signed?  Its a way to
>         get some emperical understanding of how interesting/hard
>         it is to hammer the DNS into a PKI-like thing.
>
>         www.rs.net  has some information.

a normal cache-based system attempts to make everything appear as if it is
online and dynamic .... with the characteristics of information caching as
close as possibly transparent to the relying-parties.

one might claim that PKIs have tried to turn long-lived certificate-based
"cache-entries" into a cult (aka from a information theory standpoint,
certificates are a form of free-standing, somewhat self-describing, stale,
static, long-lived cache entries) .... in part to create an independent
revenue flow based on these cult objects. standard cache infrastructures
usually attempt to go out of their way to try and make caching operation
transparent to relying-parties (and can dynamically change/eliminate
caching details to meet specific business requirement).

domain name infrastructure needs to support 1) trusted information
distribution and may implement 2) cached entries. DNS has never been
restricted to just trusted information distribution of IP-addresses.

CA/PKI SSL domain name certificates were deployed, in part because of
integrity concerns about the domain name infrastructure. However, the
"trust root" for CA/PKI SSL domain name certificates is still the domain
name infrastructure (as to the authoritative owner of a domain name).

Turning DNS into a PKI-like thing happens only in the sense that CA/PKIs
have only been a trusted distribution of public keys ... while DNS has
always been a (somewhat) trusted distribution of any information (that
happens to be registered with them). Adding public keys to DNS distribution
is only turning it into a PKI-like thing from the standpoint that DNS
hasn't in the past ben used as a trusted distribution for public key
specific information (and the issue about the level of trust you can
actually have in DNS).

My assertion is 1) DNS integrity issues have to be addressed as part of
generalized DNS trust issues .... regardless of any use for trusted
distribution of information that may include public keys. 2) because domain
name infrastructure is the root authority for CA/PKI SSL domain name
certificates, there is a suggestion that public keys be registered as part
of domain name registration (to fix trust issues in domain infrastructure
on behalf of the CA/PKI industry). Being able to trust DNS ... and having
registered public keys .... means that existing DNS information
distribution operation can turn itno trusted distribution of public keys
(aka existing DNS infrastructure supports distribution of any information
that happens to be registered).

some past threads about transition steps for DNS trust .... which could
include having cache entries that instead of being naked public keys could
be digitally signed cache entries (sharing some characteristics in common
to stale, static, long-lived, free-standing digitally signed certificate
objects):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm12.htm#58 Time to ID Identity-Theft Solutions
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm13.htm#35 How effective is open source
crypto? (bad form)