Digital cash and campaign finance reform

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Mon Sep 8 19:51:04 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Schear" <s.schear at comcast.net>
To: <cypherpunks at lne.com>; <cryptography at metzdowd.com>
[anonymous funding of politicians]
> Comments?

Simple attack: Bob talks to soon to be bought politician. "Tomorrow you'll
recieve a donation of $50k, you'll know where it came from."
Next day, buyer makes 500 $100 donations (remember you can't link him to any
transaction), 50k arrives through the mix. Politician knows where it came
from, but no one can prove it.

By implementing this we'll see a backwards trend. It will be harder to prove
the buyout (actually impossible), but the involved parties will know exactly
who did the paying. Right now you can actually see a similar usage in the
Bustamante (spelling?) campaign in the California Recall Election, the
Native Americans donated $2M to him in spite of a limit of ~22k by donating
from several people. Same method only now we know who did the paying.
                Joe

Trust Laboratories
Changing Software Development
http://www.trustlaboratories.com