OpenSSL *source* to get FIPS 140-2 Level 1 certification

Anton Stiglic astiglic at okiok.com
Fri Sep 5 16:15:22 EDT 2003

> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 01:32:21PM -0400, Anton Stiglic wrote:
> > If I'm not mistaken, this would be the first free,
> > open-source, crypto library that has FIPS 140 module certification!
>
> I believe that this is incorrect.
>
> The two open-source projects that I'm aware of that have FIPS 140 certs
> are The Crypto++ Library, (cert 343, issued today) and The Mozilla
> project's NSS, which was certified by SUN under FIPS 140-1, levels 1
> and 2.  (certs 247 and 248).

You are correct, I just saw Crypto++ in the list of FIPS 140 validated
modules:
http://csrc.nist.gov/cryptval/140-1/140val-all.htm
It is the latest entry, added today.
Congratulations to Wei Dai!

I was not aware of NSS before, their might be others as well which I
am not aware of then.

OpenSSL`s *source code* being evaluated remains exiting.

Thanks for the information Joshua and Rich!

--Anton