OpenSSL *source* to get FIPS 140-2 Level 1 certification

Rich Salz rsalz at datapower.com
Fri Sep 5 16:05:07 EDT 2003

Anton Stiglic:
>>If I'm not mistaken, this would be the first free,
>>open-source, crypto library that has FIPS 140 module certification!

It is the first *source code* certification.

Joshua Hill:

#343 is certifying a particular windows DLL for which source is
available.  Similarly, 247 and 248 are particular instances of Windows
and Solaris libraries.  In all three of those cases, you can take the
source and run it on your o/s, but you need to go get re-certified.

The more I think about it, the more amazing this is. Anyone in the world
can now build an SSL/TLS application and be FIPS 140-2L1 certified.
	/r$
--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com