Open Source (was Simple SSL/TLS - Some Questions)

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 04:58:04 EDT 2003

 On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 22:48 America/Chicago, David Honig wrote:
> At 12:08 AM 10/10/03 +0800, Ng Pheng Siong wrote:
>> I believe SSL VPNs are easier than IPsec to deploy
>
> For the former, you give a password or two --maybe
> reuse a POP3 that your users already have-- and all your
> users get in fairly securely, and you can verify them.
There seems to be a fair amount of confusion over what a "SSL VPN" really
is - there are several examples of such that are true VPN clients - but
the big commercial push seems to be the ASP model - converting
*everything* to be web-delivered, and calling the resulting HTTPS site
"Thin Client SSL VPN" but in fact they mean "Web browser accessable
website with some normally non-web apps on it"