NCipher Takes Hardware Security To Network Level

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Sat Oct 11 16:22:26 EDT 2003

Anton Stiglic wrote:

> [...]

(I am guessing you mean, in some sort of objective sense.)

Is there any reason to believe that people who
know nothing about security can actually evaluate
questions about security?

It's often been said that security is an inverted
product.  (I'm scratching to think of the proper
economic term here.)

That is, with security, you can measure easily when
it is letting the good stuff through, but you don't
know when and if and how well it is stopping the bad
stuff *.

The classical answer to "difficult to evaluate"
products is to concentrate on brand, or independant
assessors.  But, brands are based on revenues, not
on the underlying product.  Hence widespread confusion
as to whether Microsoft delivers secure product - the
brand gets in the way of any objective assessment.

And, independant assessors are generally subvertable
by special interests (mostly, the large incumbents
encourage independant assessors to raise barriers
to keep out low cost providers).  Hence, Peter's
points.  This is a very normal economic pattern, in
fact, it is the expected result.

So, right now, I'd say the answer to that question
is that there is no way for someone who knows nothing
about security to objectively evaluate a security
product.

iang

* In contrast, someone who knows little about cars,
can objectively evaluate a car.  They can take it
for a test drive and see if it feels right.  Using
it is proving it.