Open Source (was Simple SSL/TLS - Some Questions)

Jill Ramonsky Jill.Ramonsky at aculab.com
Wed Oct 8 09:22:51 EDT 2003

Too late. I've already started. Besides which, posts on this group
suggest that there is a demand for such a toolkit.

Also, I have a lot of interest in SSL/TLS, and no interest whatsoever in
IPsec. I believe I am a competent programmer, but the fact is, if you
want me to write something in my own spare time, something for which I'm
not being paid, then I'm afraid I do require the subject to interest and
inspire me.

But I am at least putting my money where my mouth is. I'm doing
something, not merely talking about it. It may be months before I have
anything to show off, but that day will come soon enough. And even
within the confines of the subject of SSL/TLS I'm sure there will be
people saying "don't do this, do that". Asking me to change /everything/
and start again from scratch is unrealistic.

I can only suggest that if you believe there is a need for an IPsec
library, you might consider picking up a C/C++ compiler and starting to
code it. Or if that's not your field of expertise, you could ask this
list for volunteers. But asking someone who's /already/ volunteered for
something to drop what they volunteered for and do something else
instead is ... well ... a strategy which is unlikely to succeed, to put
it politely. I am sorry about that, but I really want to do TLS++ (it
has a name now, although the name can obviously change). And if it turns
out that I'm wrong, and those who encouraged me are also wrong, and
there is no big demand for "Simple-to-use SSL/TLS" after all, then I
don't care - because _I_ want to use it, and that, to me, is the most
important demand of all.

Of course, you could always offer to pay me more than my current
employer, then I'd write anything you wanted!
Jill (Apologetically)