NCipher Takes Hardware Security To Network Level

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 13:49:36 EDT 2003

Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Uhh, so you're avoiding privilege escalation attacks by having
> everyone run as root, from which you couldn't escalate if you wanted
> to.
Indeed so.
"What do you do to prevent ordinary users from abusing access to the
software"
"we don't allow them on - only admins can use this machine"
"but ordinary users will *have* to use this machine"
"yes, but they will be admins while they do it"
"oh, ok then" <sound of rubber stamp being applied>