Open Source (was Simple SSL/TLS - Some Questions)

Rich Salz rsalz at datapower.com
Tue Oct 7 11:18:55 EDT 2003

>  I took the initial view that closed source and trustable
> crypto are mutually incompatible

Of course this isn't true.  When is the last time you built your
own ATM or credit-card POS terminal?

> Claims such
> as "Download this app and you will be secure" should definitely need to
> be proven, and if the app is built with TLS++ that would mean
> distributing the source code.

That's not enough.  Are you validating the toolchain?  (See Ken Thompson's
Turing Aware lecture on trusting trust).  Are you going to prevent
users from storing private keys in world-readable files?  Think very
carefully before you make *any* claims about what features your software
will provide, and what is necessary to truly ensure those features.
Are you planning on taking real liability here?   That would be a first
in the software world.

> I don't want to restrict the distribution of TLS++, but I
> also don't want crippled versions of it being used to fool the public.

Do you really think that someone who wants to fool the public will
be deterred by a LICENSE.txt file in an open source distribution?

> If anyone could help me to outline a reasonable possibility....?

I think that rather than spending time on deciding what to call this
library that is to-be-written, and how to license this library that is
to-be-written, that time should be spent on, well, writing it. :)
        /r$
XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html