NCipher Takes Hardware Security To Network Level

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Oct 7 09:52:56 EDT 2003

I was asked by someone to anonymously forward the following reply to
Joshua Hill to the list. (Second time in a week, and on the same topic!)

If you reply, please don't put my name in the reply -- this isn't my
comment.

> > The government will still buy your "encryption devices" (FIPS-140
> > certified)
>
> That will greatly depend on the sophistication of the agency concerned.
> The US Forest Service (for example) may not have the level understanding
> of the FIPS 140-2 standard that the US Navy has.

The last time we delt with the Navy, they barely knew what FIPS
140 was, weren't aware there were multiple levels, and when
informed of this had no idea what level they should be using. All
they were interested in was checking the box that said "Must be
FIPS certified".