anonymous DH & MITM

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Mon Oct 6 15:38:37 EDT 2003

Taral wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:43:21AM -0400, Anton Stiglic wrote:
> > You started by talking about anonymous communication, but ended up
> > suggesting a scheme for pseudonymous communication.
> >
> > Anonymous != pseudonymous.
> >
> > Let us be clear on that!
> > It is an important difference.
>
> Yes it is. An anonymous system can be constructed from a pseudonymous
> system by never reusing a pseudonym.

True, I think!  Is there a practical application for this?

( I can think of one trivial example: "a message system is
psuedonymous, but I want to send an anonymous message!" )

I'm asking myself whether "anonymous DH" is confusingly named.
Perhaps it should be called psuedonymous DH because it creates
psuedonyms for the life of the session?  Or, we need a name
that describes the creation of psuedonyms, de novo, from
an anonymous starting position?

iang