NCipher Takes Hardware Security To Network Level

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Oct 6 13:38:13 EDT 2003

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:40:41 -0400
From: Somebody
To: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
Subject: Re: NCipher Takes Hardware Security To Network Level

Don't identify me, since I'm not sure what parts of my NDA are still in
force now that they've announced it.

It's really pretty clever.  All the expensive key-management is moved
off to their centralized server.  As each low-cost HSM (the things that
go into your server) comes up, it sends its "card identity" to the
server.  The server responds with the necessary keys, sent in 3DES
(maybe AES?  I forget details).  Their cards can now be fairly simple
accelerators, and need less key protection, less NVRAM, etc.

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA