Choosing an implementation language

Tyler Close tyler at waterken.com
Fri Oct 3 16:31:26 EDT 2003

On Thursday 02 October 2003 09:21, Jill Ramonsky wrote:
> I was thinking of doing a C++ implentation with classes and
> templates and stuff.  (By contrast OpenSSL is a C
> implementation). Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Given the nature of recent, and past, bugs discovered in the
OpenSSL implementation, it makes more sense to implement in a
memory-safe language, such as python, java or squeak. Using a VM
hosted language will limit the pool of possible users, but might
create a more loyal user base.

I know the squeak community <http://www.squeak.org/> does not have
SSL and would very much like to have it. An implementation of SSL
in squeak would also be of interest to the Squeak-E project,
related to the E project <http://www.erights.org/>.

Tyler

--
The union of REST and capability-based security:
http://www.waterken.com/dev/Web/