Full-Duplex-Chess Grandmaster (was: anonymous DH & MITM)

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Thu Oct 2 16:48:19 EDT 2003

It's clear that my challenge about the Chess Grandmaster Problem has thrown
more shadow than light.

This is partly because it is an inherently tricky problem, but also because
I confused the issue by talking about both traditional Chess Grandmaster (a
problem that I am interested in) and Full-Duplex-Chess Grandmaster (a problem
that is more or less solved by the Interlock Protocol).

So allow me to try again, focussing solely on one case: the Full-Duplex-Chess
Grandmaster Attack.

Full-Duplex-Chess is a funny chess variant that isn't much played.  In Full-
Duplex-Chess each player chooses a move to make from the current position,
writes down the move on a slip of paper, and holds the slip of paper out face
down over the board.  This commits the player to that move.  Once both players
are committed to their moves, then both moves are revealed, and both moves are
made on the chess board simultaneously.  The rules of chess have to be amended
to handle cases such as "we both tried to move into the same square", but that
doesn't concern us.

Now, here's the Full-Duplex-Chess Grandmaster problem:

Alice and Bob are each grandmasters at Full-Duplex-Chess.  They each wish to
play a game against another player -- they don't care who.  At the beginning
of the game, each player will generate a new public key pair, and during the
game, that public key will be used to encrypt and verify that player's moves.
Afterwards, the losing player is going to send a message, encrypted with his
or her opponent's public key, that says "Wow, you sure are a good Full-Duplex-
Chess player!".  (If the game is a draw, each player will send such a message
to the other.)

Now Mitch's goal is to acquire such a message from one of the players.  (Why
he wants this isn't clear to me.  I've never understood why some people enjoy
winning by cheating.)

Alice's and Bob's goals are that whoever actually plays the best game of Full-
Duplex-Chess receives the congratulatory note.

I reiterate that Alice and Bob share no shared state at the beginning of the
protocol nor do they have any friends in common whom they can trust.  The only
things that they have in common are knowledge of the rules of Full-Duplex-
Chess, and knowledge of how to perform a cryptographic protocol of your choice.

Now it is essential to differentiate between Mitch winning a congratulatory
note by proxying the moves from Alice and Bob while replacing their public
keys, which is the "(Full-Duplex) Chess Grandmaster Attack", and Mitch winning
a congratulatory note by playing a game of Full-Duplex Chess against one of
them and winning.

I certainly don't claim that the Interlock Protocol can prevent Mitch from
playing a game with one person and also playing a game with a second person,
but I do claim that it can prevent Mitch from pulling the "Full-Duplex-Chess
Grandmaster" trick.

Regards,

Zooko

http://zooko.com/log.html