Monoculture

Jill Ramonsky Jill.Ramonsky at aculab.com
Thu Oct 2 09:21:29 EDT 2003

Thanks everyone for the SSL encouragement. I'm going to have a quick
re-read of Eric's book over the weekend and then start thinking about
what sort of "easy to use" implementation I could do. I was thinking of
doing a C++ implentation with classes and templates and stuff. (By
contrast OpenSSL is a C implementation). Anyone got any thoughts on
that? Also - anyone thinking of using something like this - could you
post (in another thread maybe) suggestions as to what kind of "simple"
interface you actually want? As in, what you want it to do? All
suggestions gratefully considered, but in the light of comments in this
list, I will /not/ turn it into bloatware just to satisfy all demands.
(OpenSSL can do that). Finally - I'll need some help setting up a
sourceforge thing as I've never set up an open source project before and
don't really know how to go about that. Some advice on licensing
wouldn't go amiss either. (GPL? ... LGPL? ... something else?)

Re Don's comments below:

This seems to me to a /serious/ flaw in the design of MSIE. What if
Alice doesn't /have/ a CA because she can't afford their fees? (or she
doesn't trust them, or for any other reason you might care to think of).
In fact, if I've understood this correctly, if Alice uses MSIE, she
can't even tell her browser to trust her own website, despite being in
possession of not only her own public key, but her own secret key as
well! What is it with MSIE that it would prefer to trust someone other
than Alice about the authenticity of Alice's site !!!???

Okay guys - _this is a serious question_. Alice has a web site. Alice
has a web browser which unfortunately happens to be MSIE. Alice wishes
to view Alice's web site using Alice's browser (which is not on the same
machine as the server). Alice does not wish to trust ANYONE else, but
she does trust herself absolutely. How does she get the browser to
display the padlock?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the answer turns out to be "It can't
be done". (That may not be a problem if other browsers don't have this
design flaw, of course, since Alice can tell all of her friends "don't
use Microsoft").

Jill