Monoculture

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 09:19:52 EDT 2003

"Guus Sliepen" <guus at sliepen.eu.org> wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> In that case, I don't see why you don't bend your efforts towards
>> producing an open-source implementation of TLS that doesn't suck.
> We don't want to program another TLS library, we want to create
> a VPN daemon.
And RMS didn't want to write a grep tool/compiler/editor/whatever - he
wanted to write hurd. however, he recognised that hurd needed to be *built
on* a solid foundation of tools and resources; most people have never
heard of hurd, but use directly or indirectly something in the gnu toolbox
every day (mostly without knowing it)
if you build a decent TLS library, then build a VPN daemon to use that
library, you have contributed both a daemon and a TLS library, and
thousands of people may well use the TLS library without needing or
wanting a VPN daemon (given a TLS library is of much more general use than
a vpn daemon)