VeriSign tapped to secure Internet voting

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Wed Oct 1 19:53:49 EDT 2003

"Roy M. Silvernail" wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 October 2003 17:33, R. A. Hettinga forwarded:
>
> > VeriSign tapped to secure Internet voting
>
> > "The solution we are building will enable absentee voters to exercise
> > their right to vote," said George Schu, a vice president at VeriSign. "The
> > sanctity of the vote can't be compromised nor can the integrity of the
> > system be compromised--it's security at all levels."
>
> One would wish that were a design constraint.  Sadly, I'm afraid it's just a
> bullet point from the brochure.

It's actually quite cunning.  The reason that this
is going to work is because the voters are service
men & women, and if they attack the system, they'll
get their backsides tanned.  Basically, it should
be relatively easy to put together a secure voting
application under the limitations, control structures
and security infrastructure found within the US military.

It would be a mistake to apply the solution to wider
circumstances, and indeed another mistake to assume
that Verisign had anything to do with any purported
"success" in "solving" the voting problem.

iang