Are there...one-way encryption algorithms

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 15:47:01 EST 2003

Bodo Moeller wrote:

> The Pohlig-Hellman cipher is the modular scheme that you describe, but
> observe there is a connection to the protocol above: that protocol
> works only if encryption and decryption has a certain commutativity
> property (decrypting  B(A(M))  with key  A   must leave  B(M),  not
> just some  A^-1(B(A(M)))  that might look entirely different), and
> the Pohlig-Hellman cipher has this property.

A useful property for all sorts of things. I'm using P-H to improve Golle et
al's universal encryption methods,
http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/ICURpaper3.pdf but it's a pity that
Pohlig-Hellman is still slow, and that there isn't a faster algorithm with
similar properties.

There's lots of potential uses for one of those :)

--
Peter Fairbrother