Clipper for luggage

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Nov 13 20:39:13 EST 2003

At 9:27 AM -0800 11/13/03, David Turner wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 22:31, Tim Dierks wrote:
>>  From the New York Times. Any guesses on how long it'll take before your
>> local hacker will have a key which will open any piece of your luggage?
>
>Local hacker, hell:
>
>> It will also mean more peace of mind for
>> passengers worried about reports of increased pilferage from unlocked bags.
>
>... so, TSA people are stealing from unlocked bags.  The solution:
>
>> "In other words, we can open it, but no one else can."
>
>... allow only the TSA to get into bags.  Brilliant!
>
>Actually, this does have some security benefit, in that now TSA can be
>effectively held responsible for thefts.  Still, the subject is quite
>accurate, except that it won't be mandatory as Clipper is.

I've never seen a luggage lock that provides anything like what I would
call security.  On the other hand, unlocked luggage does sometimes open in
transit.  (I saw a suitcase open when it was dropped while being loaded
onto an airplane.)

I usually travel with zipper closed duffel bags.  I fasten the zipper
closed with a screw link.  Anyone can unscrew the link and get into the
bag, but it does effectively keep the zipper closed in transit.  I suppose
it also provides some level of security because someone wanting to do a
quick grab from luggage will probably pick a less-secured piece.\

Cheers - Bill