Nullsoft's WASTE communication system

David Wagner daw at mozart.cs.berkeley.edu
Sat May 31 11:54:26 EDT 2003

Eric Rescorla  wrote:
>E(M) || H(M)    -> This is still quite dangerous.  If the attacker
>                   can somehow reset the IV, then they can mount
>                   an attack on the first cipher block.

Also, it can violate confidentiality.  If M is guessable,
the guess can be confirmed using H(M).

>E(M || H(M))    -> This is hard to attack with block ciphers, but
>                   easy with stream ciphers.

Even for block ciphers, it's vulnerable against chosen-message
attack, although I agree this weakness may be more or less theoretical.

I certainly agree with all your comments.  I can't imagine why
they invented their own crypto, rather than just using SSL.