"PGP Encryption Proves Powerful"

bear bear at sonic.net
Fri May 30 11:25:44 EDT 2003

Aside from the whole governments-and-people-and-terrorists thing,
I will say that there was an event last year at my former employers'
that made us very glad we were using PGP.

An engineer's laptop got stolen. With the entire source tree of an
enterprise application that licensed for $25K a seat on it.  Fortunately,
since it was in an encrypted archive, we didn't need to worry too much.

I don't know how many "incidents" like this happen every year.  I don't
think governments care that much about the kind of risk companies not
using crypto to protect their livelihoods take.  They don't become aware
of crypto when it averts trouble.  They become aware of crypto when it
causes trouble.

				Bear