The War on David Nelson

John Ioannidis ji at research.att.com
Mon May 19 08:37:38 EDT 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 03:24:34PM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:

> have no authority.  Demand that they show you such a law, and refuse
> to show ID until they identify one.  As you go up the chain of
> command, you will find that you have the option to be searched rather
> than show an ID.  In regimes where the laws are secret, the only way
> to find out what the law is, is to not follow orders.

I tried flying from LGA to BOS in January of 2002 on the Delta
Shuttle.  I happened to have forgotten my passport at home, and had no
driver's license at the time.  Despite long arguments going all the
way up to the head of their security (a certain Mr Colon), and showing
several credit cards, my employee and faculty IDs, and so on, I was
not allowed to board.  They wouldn't even refund my ticket.

My solution was never to fly with them again, even if it meant paying
more and taking extra stops to fly with another airline where Delta
would fly nonstop.

/ji