Trusted Computing Paper at HOTOS

Tal Garfinkel talg at CS.Stanford.EDU
Sun May 18 12:13:21 EDT 2003

I will be presenting a paper written with Mendel Rosenblum and Dan Boneh
on "Flexible OS Support and Applications for Trusted Computing" at HOTOS
IX on Wednesday.

The pre-publication version of the paper can be found on the conference
web page:

https://www.usenix.org/events/hotos03/program.html

or off of my homepage:

http://www.stanford.edu/~talg/papers/HOTOS03/abstract.html

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

--Tal

Abstract:

Trusted computing (e.g. TCPA and Microsoft's Next-Generation Secure
Computing Base) has been one of the most talked about and least
understood technologies in the computing community over the past year.
The capabilities trusted computing provides have the potential to
radically improve the security and robustness of distributed systems.
Unfortunately, the debate over its application to digital rights
management has caused its significant other applications to be largely
overlooked. In this paper we present a broader vision for trusted
computing. We give an intuitive model for understanding the capabilities
and limitations of the mechanisms provided by trusted computing. We
describe a flexible OS architecture to support trusted computing. We
present a range of practical applications that illustrate how trusted
computing can be used to improve security and robustness in distributed
systems.