using PoW + filters to avoid false positives (Re: Re: A Trial Balloon to Ban Email?)

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Fri May 16 13:22:48 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 09:56:17AM +0100, Adam Back wrote:

> The limitation with blackholes is it depends on the blackhole
> implementation, some are simply refusing the TCP connection at
> firewall level; others are accepting but giving you a 500 (or whatever
> it is) response code explaining why -- but that is already too early
> for them to have read the X-Hashcash headder.  One way around that is
> to include hashcash as an ESMTP address parameter which I understand
> allows you to say things after the RCPT TO, but even that may be too
> late (if they already said go away after the HELO).

There is already a reasonably good proof-of-work mechanism built
into SMTP-- START_TLS.

Any server that is willing to do TLS with mine is very unlikely
to be a spammer.  In fact a quick check of about 8000 spams I have
shows that two of them used TLS.  (both in the last week.   hmm.)

While it's true that the TLS protocol allows a client to subject
a server to a DOS attack by getting the server to do the expensive
crypto operation first (as the Dean & Subblefield paper points out)
in order for a MTA to deliver mail, it's got to complete
the TLS handshake.

So, to fix the spam problem, all we have to do is require START_TLS. :-)

Now, to generate an 8192-bit key....

Eric