A Trial Balloon to Ban Email?

McMeikan, Andrew Andrew.McMeikan at logicacmg.com
Mon May 12 23:14:07 EDT 2003

<snip>
> >It seems analagous to a protocol that proves that someone burned a
> >dollar bill.
> >
> >A scheme where I actually get something of value might have
> a bit more
> >traction..
>
> The question here is not about whether *you* get anything worth value;
> the question is whether the economics of email can be changed in such
> a way that spam is no longer profitable.
<snip>
> Therefore, we need the power to impose higher costs on spammers than
> we want to pay for personal mail, and that requires us to be selective
> about what mail we impose costs on.  The only reasonable way to do
> that is at the MUA, where encrypted mail is already decrypted and
> where decisions about it can be made depending on the individual
> user's preferences and filters.  We don't want to impose a cost on
> individuals sending stuff to their friends from underpowered handheld
> units, and if what they send doesn't smell spammy to your filters,
> why should we?

I would have to agree that it is up to each reciever to do the censoring,
sadly this means net bandwidth is still wasted but some could be saved if
your MTA can be smart about what it recieves, this is all the more difficult
if it has to be sniffed to check for the aroma of spam.

If spammers find it financially rewarding to spam it may mean that they can
out bid your attention compared to some person who has not made it on to
your whitelist yet.

So it all comes down to filters?

If you are hard to contact, you are hard for everyone to contact, if easy
then easy for all.

Put a valid 1mdc payment cheque in the subject line and I guarentee to read
your email!

In fact just to reward you for reading this far down (so you must hate spam
right?)
https://www.1mdc.com/cgi-bin/pickup.cgi?3573082-2fffa2aa33a2de0e93223fd82b39
a6c2
a microspend, valid 7 days.  I stuck this very small chunk of money here as
a previous post suggested that anonymous money was somehow either wrong or
impossible, its not wrong and it is possible.

Prediction for future: 2020, spam still majority of email.  Rumours of new
system abound.

	cya,	Andrew...

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.