[johnmacsgroup] INTEL: Venona Project

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Jun 27 02:46:39 EDT 2003

--- begin forwarded text

To: "DemocratsConvHall" <johnmacsgroup at yahoogroups.com>
From: "CodeTen7" <CodeTen7 at attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:25:26 -0600
Subject: [johnmacsgroup] INTEL: Venona Project

Venona Project Homepage, NSA
  National Security Agency ^  | July 1995 (Documents Made Public)

Introduction to the VENONA Project
An Effort to Digitize and Enhance the VENONA Documents
by Mr. William P. Crowell, Former Deputy Director, National Security
Agency

In July 1995 the Intelligence Community ended a 50-year silence
regarding one of cryptology's most splendid successes - the VENONA
Project. VENONA was the codename used for the U.S. Signals Intelligence
effort to collect and decrypt the text of Soviet KGB and GRU messages
from the 1940's. These messages provided extraordinary insight into
Soviet attempts to infiltrate the highest levels of the United States
Goverment.
  Today, we are proud to offer these exceptional documents on the NSA
home page and we invite you to study and interpret them in the context
of history. NSA has declassified over 3000 messages related to VENONA.
We believe they will not only provide a window into Soviet espionage
during the 1940's, but will also give you a glimpse of the important
contributions signals intelligence and cryptographic expertise make to
our nation's security.

The Link:
<http://www.nsa.gov/docs/venona/>http://www.nsa.gov/docs/venona/

 Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705060375:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=3170658>

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA