The meat with multiple PGP subkeys

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Jun 17 17:42:13 EDT 2003

My key, 220BC883330C4A75, has multiple encryption subkeys, and it's
about to get another one on Friday, as my current encryption key
expires.

A lot of people are reporting that they cannot encrypt to me, due to
an unusable public key. It only seems to work if they use modern
software and obtain my key from keyserver.kjsl.com:11371 or the
various URLs where it sits.

I am already working with keyserver maintainers to get their
keyservers up to par, but before this can be completed, I feel that
I need to get an exact understanding of what's going on.

Could someone help me clean up this understanding?

- What is the problem with multiple subkeys?

- Are they in accordance with the RFC (2440)?

- Are others experiencing these problems, and how do you deal with
  them?

- Is there a solution in the works?

- If not, has anyone already thought about how to solve this mess?

Thanks, and I hope this is appropriate for this list.

Take care,

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

keyserver problems? http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html
get my key here: http://madduck.net/me/gpg/publickey

"wickedness is a myth
 invented by good people
 to account for the curious attraction of others."
                                                        -- oscar wilde