[mnet-devel] status of Mnet

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Jun 16 13:11:31 EDT 2003

--- begin forwarded text

To: mnet-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
From: Zooko <zooko at zooko.com>
Subject: [mnet-devel] status of Mnet
Sender: mnet-devel-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:18:59 -0400

There are very few servers on the Mnet network now, so almost all content is
probably unavailable.  This is mostly due to Tschechow taking his large and
highly reliable servers off-line, which he has done, I infer, because he can't
afford the time and money to operate them right now.

Likewise, the development of the Mnet software is going through a quiet period
-- the major developers have each been doing something else for the last few
weeks.

(I suspect that the commercial HiveCache operation by Jim McCoy and Rob
Kinninmont, is still doing active development on something Mnet-related.)

Personally I intend to resume work on ent [1] after the current visit from my
family ends.

If the network is still quiescent, which it will be unless a bunch of people
start operating reliable servers, then I'll feel free to ignore the backwards-
compatibility issue even more than I am currently ignoring it.  :-)

So probably when Mnet v0.7, using ent instead of MetaTracker, is ready to
roll, it will be a whole new network, unconnected to the Mnet v0.6 network.

--Z

[1] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mnet/mnet_new/mnetlib/ent.py?rev=1.1.2.36&only_with_tag=newnet&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA